Pages

Tuesday 15 October 2013

Always check your Tit's

he says with a smile on his face

And good reason to as well. After last nights Barn Owl failure in perfect conditions I thought I'd try again tonight. On the way home from work I realised that I really couldn't be bothered to go home, do tea and then go back out again 'till dark so the plan changed to going home and making more Marsh Tit boxes.

I then changed my mind again thinking of what was the point of making the boxes if I didn't know their territories. Although the species is a resident and suspected breeder, if they are not in the area then there's no point putting the boxes up. The fact that I only have 3 records for the year through lack of looking doesn't help me so I decided to go up to then top end of the reservoir to look. After 3 or 4 patrols of the area I had nothing. A Tit flock then started to move through and I caught sight of something small. Bins up and missed it, it had flown left. A small bit of willow started twitching and then the bird moved right. Bins on to it this time to see - FIRECREST!

Well, impressed with that as it moved through with approx. 40 Tits including at least 15 Blues and 10 Long-tailed's. Firecrest are without doubt my favourite passerine and this constitutes only my 4th record at Stithians. Just in case you are wondering, no I did not see Marsh Tit.......

No comments:

Post a Comment