Pages

Thursday 6 October 2016

Cormorant frustration

recent information had come to light that a colour ringed Cormorant had been seen at College Reservoir a mere 4 or 5 miles from my local reservoir of Stithians. The observer was unable to get the number and the image taken was very washed out, apparently red/orange. I was asked to check out Stithians to see if Orange TBY was still around and visiting nearly every day for weeks.

This evening was my first opportunity with 21 Cormorant roosting, some standing, some sitting, some obscured by others. A patient wait of 15 minutes and it looked as though none of them were ringed, when, one of them started to make it's way back into the water. This then kick started the rest to move and bingo - orange TBY (or so I thought). Just as it entered the water I thought I saw a T at the end of the sequence - TBT but it was too late for a positive ID

Scanning left another orange ring, this one definitely TBY. What does all this mean? Well, for starters it means the bird at College can no longer be deduced by a process of elimination which is risky anyway and Stithians now has two colour ringed birds, one unidentified and possibly a four day wait before I can get back there unless all goes well on Saturday.

These things are sent to try us......

No comments:

Post a Comment