Pages

Monday 5 May 2014

Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)

Today I tried to have a look for some open nesting passerines but the wind was howling at Stithians and with the exception of Sedge Warblers that were still giving it what for most warblers were laying low. I did get onto a pair of Bullfinch but unfortunately lost them to view.

I checked the Mallard nest I found in April. The female was sitting tight and despite a couple of gentle taps with my stick on nearby vegetation she wasn't going to budge. This is my first Mallard record but will inspire to look for more of them next year as they can nest quite early before everything else starts.

Here's the female in the rather overgrown vegetation - she blends in well


I also checked a Magpie nest that I found a couple of days ago but could not inspect at the time -

It has 4 chicks about a week old. My 100th nest record for the year is getting close.

No comments:

Post a Comment