Pages

Thursday 8 May 2014

Herring Gull (Larus argentatus)

The Herring Gull or seagull to the ill informed, the demonised unwanted creature of many a coastal town and of course inland ones these days thanks to man's rubbish.

This afternoon was a celebration of the Herring Gull as the first ever record of this species entered my Garden Birdwatch notebook. It didn't stay long, just long enough to investigate the suet pellets on the cageless ground feeder, just long enough for the House Sparrows to line up on the wall with menacing looks. It was a great moment in garden ornithology.....

I was hoping to photograph my first Blue Tit chicks this afternoon but defeat was snatched from the jaws of victory. I arrived at my parents house, slowly lifted the lid to find the female brooding the young. I stood back to wait for her to come off to feed but the male was making too many visits with food for my liking. It wasn't going to happen

Springwatch has the makings of a good one this year - I'm not interested in forming opinions of the presenters, the series has some good views of nests. Last year Dave Leech appeared (the head of the Nest Record Scheme). This year it comes from RSPB Minsmere and features Stone Curlew, Bittern and a guest appearance from the legendary Bill Oddie. I don't have a telly, the last one packed up in October and I now enjoy the peace and quiet but will endeavour to watch them on I Player......  

No comments:

Post a Comment