Pages

Sunday 3 November 2013

A bad day

Today has been a bad day. It has reminded me of a BBC comedy I used to watch  around 10yrs ago featuring Ben Miller as Howard Steele in "The worst week of my life"

It started as soon as I left home. The idea was to open the feeding station at Stithians today on my way to work. I had just set off and realised I hadn't picked up any of the seed. A feeding station without seed is about as useful as a chocolate teapot. I turned around and picked up the seed. I arrived at Stiths, armed with feeders and a 20kg sack of seed I headed for the station. Almost there and I got my foot caught on some bramble, stumbled and dropped the sack. Luckily it was un-opened. Nearly put my bloody back out. I topped up the feeders, put the seed in the bin and headed back unfortunately tripping over more bramble.

I had to go to work for a  couple of hours but was going to call in on the way back to see what had found them in as little as 3 hours. Blue and Great Tits, Chaffinch, Robin, Goldfinch and Dunnock. Two people came into the hide, the lady commented "a Goldie on the sunflower seeds" I felt like saying "Goldie? What, Golden Eagle, Golden Oriole, Golden-winged Warbler?". I sat there quietly. Then his phone went off - ring ring, ring ring. I got up and left.

Aldi for bird seed and Dinner Time Pets was next and all went well, so it was home to carry on making nest boxes from the two pallets I nicked, then after tea weather permitting down the road to find Tawny Owl. In the garage, I was in full flow, master Carpenter when disaster struck - I ran out of felt nails so I was unable to secure the lids on the boxes! I carried on knowing I could do that at a later date, it wasn't important. Then, my electric saw packed up. Shit, I've got to saw the wood by hand. Ok, it's not ideal but it's how they did it in the olden days. 5 minutes later the only perfect sized drill bit I have snapped! I snapped, didn't know whether to laugh or cry so I  did the best thing and gave up.  The bright side is that I could actually get 9 boxes from the two pallets.

As I write it's heavy rain so the Owl prowl is cancelled again. Tonight will be one of those rare occasions that I have a bottle of beer with tea. Yes, a whole 750ml bottle of beer.

I suppose my day could have been a lot worse, how many people ended up being subjected to the shops........

No comments:

Post a Comment