Pages

Thursday 27 December 2012

Christmas birding

is non existent in the West country.

I finished work on Friday 21st with intentions of visiting my two Winter thrush survey squares, my core square for the same survey, a visit to Hells Mouth to count returning Fulmar from their moult and the local patch to look for newly arrived Goosander. The weather has put paid to all this so far.

Strong winds and heavy rain have seen me confined to barracks for 5 days managing only to get out this afternoon for a walk down the road with the wife for an hour. The weather has however given plenty of opportunity to watch the garden feeders, the last few days giving record counts of Magpie (5), Chaffinch (8), Dunnock (3) and ahem - Jackdaw (28). A Bullfinch appeared, nice male and only the second record for the garden, the first one coming in July 2011.

Hopefully the weather will improve shortly before i miss surveying my core square completely.